[Précédent (date)] [Suivant (date)] [Précédent (sujet)] [Suivant (sujet)] [Index par date] [Index par sujet]

Bruce Perens on the lack of successful Linux companies

«You also commented about the lack of successful Linux companies. This is
not due to the community treatment of Linux businesses, but the fact that
Open Source is not a business and should not be treated as one. It's
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
successful when operated as a cost-center, in businesses that make their
money some other way. The most successful ones use the software they
develop for some business purpose: for example, Apache developers use the
software to implement web sites for their business, IBM and HP make money
by selling hardware that runs with Linux, not by selling Linux.

Eric Raymond and others theorized that support would be a good way to fund
Open Source, but the support model has under-performed so far, because the
early adopters are too self-supporting. Sales of proprietary software to
support the Open Source development are also underperforming, as Linux
customers, even within the Fortune 500, have become wary of dependence on
non-Open-Source.

Thus, no Linux distribution has been more than marginally profitable so
far. My surmise is that over the long term a non-profit like Debian
supported by hardware manufacturers and other businesses will work best.
But I'd be delighted to see you prove me wrong.»

P'tit comqiue, va!

http://lwn.net/daily/perens-robertson.php3

--
Eretz Israël, La Terre Promise
Avec Ariel Sharon, ses chars, ses F-16, ses hélicos Apache dans le rôle du