[Précédent (date)] [Suivant (date)] [Précédent (sujet)] [Suivant (sujet)] [Index par date] [Index par sujet]

Growing tired of the constant portrayal of Linux as "anti-corporate"

Hi,

As a long time Linux user, advocate and professionnal system
administrator, I usually cheer when my operating system of choice get
press coverage.  However, your article entitled "Fast, free and
anti-corporate: McGill group wants to bring Linux to the masses"
epitomize everything I think is wrong with current state of Linux
advocacy and press coverage.

I am growing tired of seeing Linux (and Open Source software in general)
depicted as anti-corporate or anti-Microsoft.  The point of Linux is not
to destroy capitalism in general or Microsoft in particular; it is about
having access to robust, serviceable, Free (both as in speech and beer
sense) and open softwares.  That's all.

When you have to sell Linux as a solution, be it to an individual or a
corporation, you need to come up with compelling arguments.  Giving "the
finger to Microsoft and the corporate universe of 21st-century
computing" is not one.  My job advocating and selling Linux would be
much easier if I had not to constantly fight the anti-corporate aura
that Linux is being shrouded with by overly-enthusiastic advocate and
misguided journalist.

If we want Linux to be the Trojan Horse of collectivism in this overly
capitalistic and individualistic society, we have to fight the right
battle with the right set of arguments.

All opinion are strictly mine, not my employers's.

--
http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       [email protected]